My Breastfeeding Experience

It has been a while now since I gave birth to Saoirse, months since I kept my Medela breast pump, but a lot of adjustments are still being made in all aspects of our family life. Who would have thought that a teensy weensy addition will require so much time, effort and changes in our family dynamics? Today, I want to document my personal experience in breastfeeding experience.


The first ever time when I took Saoirse out. She was probably a month here 

When I was still pregnant, I have decided that I will breastfeed Saoirse—no matter what it may take. I was so prepared—or thats' what I thought. I did my research and bought the best medical grade pump that fits my lifestyle, considering being a working mom (Medela Freestyle). I also purchased all the natural creams and applied it long before I had my C-section. I started taking my Moringa supplement even before I gave birth, something that my What to Expect bible told me. I stalked and stalked Instagram accounts of celebrity batchmates who were breastfeeding--there were a lot, and I was bent and set to do it.

Clams and malunggay can make you produce more milk 


The hospital I opted to give birth in is a staunch supporter of breastfeeding. They required rooming in so the mother can breastfeed. My baby’s pedia was also pro-breastfeeding and would not accept any other alternatives. She even said Saoirse latches very well. However, my mamaries—bless them both, refused to cooperate.

It was a very tensed first few days for us especially because the papa and others insisted on getting supplementary milk for the Saoirse. I did not yield. I read that the baby that age requires milk the size of a calamansi. I also read that the body gives the milk that the baby requires. The pedia assured me that I am producing enough. This supply challenge hounded me until the very end of my breastfeeding journey.

Pain is another thing. All the creams I used pre-breastfeeding session did not seem to work. Painful if I feed her, but uncomfortable if I did not. Thankfully, that phase lasted for about two weeks only. My breasts were bleeding everytime Saoirse would latch, which was around about one week. After that either my pain tolerance skyrocketed or it just really got better. For a full month upon giving birth, I was literally a momma cow who did nothing but feed, every two hours.

I have also gotten acquainted with supplements (and I do not only mean the capsules). I realized through it all that breastfeeding is a big industry. No scratch that. Baby care is a HUGE industry. I have added a couple of new words to my vocabulary and those words are Galactagogues and Fenugreek, the former meaning anything that increases milk supply and the latter is an herb that is well, a galactagogue. I would order lactation cookies on a weekly basis.

My lactation cookies came in various flavours and colors


Let me talk about the cookies. They come in various amazing flavours and they were addictive. They were a bit more pricey than the regular ones but they were very good! They come in double chocolate chip, red velvet, oatmeal, raisin etc etc! It was perfect. Apart from the cookies, there were also lactation muffins and they were extremely good.
My lunchtime was converted to pumping lunches 

My lunchtime was converted to pumping lunches 


Can you say MOOOO?

My breasfeeding tea


I bought a recliner on a whim and told my husband that well, I need a good feeding chair. It was one of our best impromptu purchase. EVER. It has evolved to an online-shopping-while-feeding-chair.

After two months of hiatus, I had to go back to work. I decided to pump and started mixed feeding Saoirse. She adjusted very well, and did not have any transition problems. I claimed a room in my previous office and would religiously pump, first every two hours and later on thrice a day. The first few days, I was on a roll. I was overproducing milk! I would only bring 4 Medela bottles and initially, I would fill them all. I would still pump on my way home (because travel time was around 3 hours). When I got home, after cleaning up, I would feed Saoirse until we both fall asleep.


First weekend after I returned to work 

I would keep the pump on weekends and would feed her directly instead. With my trusty breastfeeding cover, we conquered the malls. 

During work related out-of-the-country trips, I would pack more lactation cookies, milk packets and my trusty cooler. My previous employment allowed us to stay in mostly 4- star hotels only per policy and these hotels allowed me to freeze my milk until it was time to go home. Frozen milk have a lifespan of 2 months, but if the frozen milk was thawed, it must be consumed within 24 hours. 

Pumping in Thailand, my first out of the country trip after giving birth.
I took those cookies 3 times a day! 
With my very kind officemate Billy who allowed me to pump anywhere and well, carried my breastmilk as well
First out of the country trip pumping was a success!

I had a fridge in the room and the freezer was for frozen milk. I had a system, FIFO, if you may, and would religiously catalog each and every milk plastic that comes in and out that fridge. I was feeling accomplished. I was a cow, but a very productive cow. 

Of course, all these cataloging, pumping and milking would have an effect on the other aspects of my professional life, but it was worth it. I was productive, Saoirse continues to be healthy and I had social proofs thereof. 

And then, a few weeks before her birthday, my baby refused to latch. She weaned herself, just like that. No warning signs. One day she just didn't like to latch. So I did what any self-respecting clingy breastfeeding mom would. I pumped double time. 

By this time, my milk productivity dipped and Saoirse inadvertently developed a preference for formula. This time as well, Saoirse had been feeding on solids already (another interesting topic for another blog post), and so I took my pump for a last pumping spin, and with a heavy heart, packed it away. For good. 

Or until I will need it again. ### 

Comments

Popular Posts